It’s not difficult to experience more joy at work. You just need to know the rules.
As simple as it seems to be happy in our private life, we easily get overwhelmed by the stressful tasks at work. Because, we are not supposed to hate what we do for living. It benefits us, our colleagues, and the organization, when we enjoy our occupancy and are happy at doing our job.
There are many ways of improving your mood at work, and this piece offers five (5) of very easy and useful tips that you can start practicing right now.
1. Healthy Morning Routine
Health and happiness go hand in hand. When we start the day with a healthy routine, we get momentum for the whole day. Have you ever tried running in the morning? Also, a nutritious meal and sufficient amount of water can help a lot.
2. Keep Developing Your Knowledge
Even if your employer does not offer you any professional development, try to find appropriate and interesting free online courses that you would like to learn and use while doing your work. List the benefits of these skills and send a proposal. You might get a positive answer. Or if you don’t, just do it on your own.
3. Communication and Relationships
Working in a team usually requires good relationships and communication in order to provide top results. But how about other relationships at work? Do they affect our happiness? According to the fact that people are social beings, we could say that having good relationships at work raises our psych-social workplace well-being.
Even if your coworkers do not seem to be friendly people and you find it difficult to be around them, there are some tactics to build better relationships. Let us suggest the following:
- Always speak with an honest smile on your face. Don’t fake – they will notice.
- Instead of complaining try to make a joke and have a good laugh together with colleagues.
4. Approach Issues with Positive Attitude
Work is supposed to bring us challenges and problems to overcome. The happier we are at work, more easily we will solve them, and as well, more we solve, happier we will be. But the real question here is how can we get in this winning loop? It’s obvious that it starts with us. We have to approach our issues positively and try to get the best out of every situation.
Maybe these tips will help:
- Always do everything that is in your power and don’t blame yourself for things you are not responsible for.
- Brainstorm with the team to get more ideas and combine them to solve the problem.
- Keep your focus on the solution, not the problem itself.
5. Breathe. Stretch. Relax
Micro breaks are important for our well-being, especially when we lead a sedentary lifestyle. By taking active breaks we relax tension out of our muscles and if we manage to calm our thoughts too, it will help us relax psychologically.
To have an effective micro break, try to follow these rules:
- Set a reminder to stand up and stretch for every hour of your work.
- Take a few deep breaths when you are feeling stressed.
- Plan a regular 5-minute office break with your colleagues.
Little changes in our daily routine can significantly increase our happiness and well-being at work. Subsequently our professional well-being will also positively affect our private life, relationships, and health. So, why not start today?