With over 40million+ unemployed graduates in Nigeria, most youths are now waking up to the reality on ground that having an academic certificate or degree is not the gateway to escape the hardship and struggles of life. The ultimate dream of every Nigerian parent is to see their children pass through school, earn a degree, get a high paying job and live happily ever after. This was the dream we were sold on as kids, “To graduate and get a good job” and most parents / children pursued this dream vigorously. But unfortunately, the dream of go to school, secure a good job and live happily is now a fairy tale to the average Nigerian youth.
Below is a list of the richest successful Nigerian that never graduated from university. These men and women became extremely rich by virtue of hard work and good business relationships.
1. Olorogun Michael Ibru – Founder of the Ibru Organization and head of one of the richest family in Nigeria.
2. Orji Uzor Kalu – Founder of Slok Group. He was rusticated from university for his participation in a student protest. Though he was later granted Amnesty by the school authority, he rejected it and chose to become an entrepreneur.
3. Femi Otedola – Chairman of Forte Oil, SeaForce, etc (largest diesel importer in Nigeria, also owns the largest fleet of ships).
4. Rasaq Okoya – Founder of Eleganza Group, did not attend university.
5. Cosmos Maduka – Founder of Coscharis Group (sole distributor of BMW vehicles in West Africa), dropped out of elementary school.
6. Michael Collins Ifeanyi Enebeli Ajereh (aka Don Jazzy) – Famous music producer and co-founder of defunct Mo’Hits Records. Now CEO of Marvin Records. Dropped out of Ambrose Ali University, Ekpoma after his first year.
7. Mrs. Folorunsho Alakija – (Famfa Oil), richest woman in Africa, did not attend university.
8. Cletus Madubugwu Ibeto – Founder of the Ibeto Group (Petrochemicals, Cement manufacturing)
9. Innocent Ifediaso Chukwuma – Founder of Innoson Group, manufacturers of IVM motors and Innoson Plastics.
10. Sir Tony Ezenna – CEO of Orange Drugs, inherited a patent shop from his father and grew it into a conglomerate.
11. Vincent Obianodo – Founder, The Young Shall Grow Motors (the largest transport company in Nigeria), Rock View Hotels.
12. Ladi Delano – CEO of Bakrie Delano, did not attend high institution.